Field Hockey BC (FHBC) and various member clubs have received a number of inquiries relating to the coronavirus and field hockey events, training environments, and camps in BC.
FHBC remains in close contact with Field Hockey Canada, the Canadian Sport Medicine Advisory Committee, Provincial Government agencies, School Districts and Parks Boards regarding protocol and next steps, and will provide updates as soon as they become available.
As the status progresses with the COVID-19 response within Canada, FHBC will continue to follow all government recommendations and adjust our approach to managing events accordingly.
At this time, Field Hockey BC is waiting on further government recommendations regarding mass gatherings in BC. As always, the safety and wellness of our players, coaches, officials, parents, fans and all other community members is our first priority.
Field Hockey BC will also be posting regular updates from the Canadian Sport medicine Advisory Committee, the latest of which (March 11, 2020) can be found at the following link:
Reminder on steps to reduce risk and exposure
As a reminder, Field Hockey BC would like to share the BC Centre for Disease Control recommendations for reducing the risk of exposure to novel coronavirus:
- Wash your hands frequently (it is the single most effective way of reducing infection spread).
- Practice other good hygiene habits: do not touch your face/eyes/mouth with your hands and cover your mouth and nose when you sneeze or cough (ideally with a disposable tissue or the crease of your elbow).
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched workspace surfaces.
- Maintain good general health (eat a balanced diet, get enough sleep, exercise in moderation).
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Contact 8-1-1 (HealthLink BC) or your health care provider for questions about your personal health situation.
Further information about novel coronavirus is available on the BC Centre for Disease Control website at the following link: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/coronavirus-(novel)